Saturday 5 May 2012

A Tribute to Adam Yauch


When I think back to what first got me into Hip-Hop, the first names that come to mind are Jurassic 5 and DJ Shadow but I often forget that the Beastie Boys were a big part of it too. While I was vaguely aware of them beforehand, their fifth studio album Hello Nasty was what made me sit up and take notice, it was perfect timing from a personal point of view as I started to take more of an interest in hip-hop and DJing. The video for 3 MCs and 1 DJ just blew my mind in terms of showing what could be done with one turntable and a mixer, it also became a firm favourite of school friends who otherwise had no interest in hip-hop. This was a trend that continued throughout my University Days, with Intergalactic being one of the few songs still guaranteed to fill the floor on a Rock Club Night.

I feel slightly embarrassed to say that I never really went on to buy any of their earlier albums, though their anthology album The Sounds of Science is one of the best compilations I've ever seen. Cherry picking 42 of their best songs from previous albums, it at least helped me to get a feel for how they had evolved as a group and the different genres of music they had encompassed. Their eclectic taste in music largely matched my own and a lack of fear in experimenting with different styles meant they were always a group that I would respect even if I didn't already like the music. There was plenty of fun to be had throughout, even if 'Country Mike's Greatest Hits' pushed the comedy a little too far.

So I was understandably shocked and saddened to hear about the death of Adam 'MCA' Yauch, one of the groups founding members. Though it seemed to come out of the blue, I think I do remember hearing about him being diagnosed with Cancer a few years back. It's still one of those things where even if people say it is treatable you kind of have to be prepared for the worst. To me MCA always felt like the father figure of the group, a little less upfront than the jokers Mike D and Ad-Rock. Whether there's any truth to that I don't know, that was just how it seemed to me. His gravely voice was unique and instantly recognisable in the rap world but his musical contributions were sometimes less obvious. He played bass for their live performances and was responsible for some legendary riffs, including those in Sabotage.

Outside of music he was a long term supporter of the Tibetan independence movement and was himself a practicing Buddhist. Bodhisattva Vow, a song from their fourth studio album Ill Communication was written after Adam first attended a teaching session by the Dalai Lama. Many have described this song as rather sanctimonious but Yauch himself is refreshingly honest when he writes about it in the liner notes of the Sounds of Science Anthology. "The idea that a person could read a couple of books, go to one teaching, and then attempt to write an updated abridged version of the Bodhicaryavatara is presumptuous at best." I felt he stood out as the conscience of the group, again I'm not sure if that's an entirely fair assessment.

I found myself thinking of an Edan lyric "It'’ll be a sad day like when the Biz Mark dies" referring to old school rap legend Biz Markie, after reading his response on twitter: "My brother you are truly going to be missed. My heart is heavy." At only 47 it still seems a very young age to lose a legend and it make you think about the possibility of losing other heroes of our generation. I read an article by ?uestlove of the Roots, which seemed particularly apt as they went from being fans of the Beastie Boys to opening for them in shows. I'm sad to think that I never got around to seeing them live, I can't really think of much else to say other than that my thoughts are with his family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments - criticism is appreciated but please try to keep it constructive, I'll do my best to respond to them. Abusive or spam comments will be removed.